Thursday, March 17, 2016

Blue Whales

Here is a diagram I made to show students to clarify what's in the video of the two blue whales who decided to check me out one day in 2010 near Palos Verdes in Santa Monica Bay (California).
First you'll see a dolphin pop up. I think it was afraid because a pair of the largest animals that have ever lived on the planet are below, mouths open large enough to swallow a Prius, but scarfing down krill. A day or two before a sea lion popped up even closer, and it seemed to be looking at my face.
At the bottom is a link to the video.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6iYyyNafbk

 Keep in mind, it is illegal to approach sea mammals this close. However if they want to come visit you, that's OK. As soon as I saw one heading towards me I started paddling out of the way. When it came up to look I stopped. This is when I was surprised by the lead whale.
They knew what they were doing. I'd paddled out there several times to visit. When I saw where they were I would paddle to the general area, then just wait. They'd come up, and usually they were curious enough to take a look, then it seemed like they would use me as a marker buoy for 3-4 dives, coming near, but eventually working away.
Gray whales seem more skittish, possibly because there's a local orca pod (who will pop up for a look from a couple of hundred meters away and uninterested will change direction.)

No comments:

Post a Comment